Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thing 5: Flickr


Mad Tea Party
Originally uploaded by TheNonLibrarian

I've actually been signed up for my Flickr account for awhile, but only today did I have the time to upload some photos. Since I'm at work, I actually had to download them to the computer from my other account at Photobucket, then upload them onto Flickr. Time consuming to say the least, but not difficult.

However I didn't waste my time - I had done some exploring on Flickr when I first opened the account. I did some searches, looked around, and found some things that I liked. The one that stands out (that I don't think Photobucket has) is the option to add a note to the photo. You can highlight a small section of the photo you wish to comment on, and add a message. Brilliant!

The photo to the right is of a painting based on the Mad Hatter's tea party from Alice in Wonderland I did for a Family Literacy Day program a couple of years ago. We had an indoor mini-golf game, and the kids had to answer a question about each book before making the putt. I painted about 8 different backgrounds based on books, and this is one. The others I won't post here (partly for fear of copyright infringement), but are up on my Flickr account.

This was definitely different as far as posting using Photobucket. There, you can click on a single (or multiple) pics, and just copy and paste the html code into the post you are writing (or even one already written). I had already started writing this post and had it saved as a draft. I thought I could do the same thing with Flickr, but that's not what I found. They posted it to the blog for me, and I had to go back to my original post and copy and paste the script into this one. Not hard, just strange - and now I know better.

To be fair to Flickr though, I was actually able to get my slideshow over on the side here up and running with them, whereas my one with Photobucket was having trouble. And no, it wasn't because I didn't know what I was doing. I was the one who helped a coworker set hers up!

I have yet to actually upload any photos of my library and tag them "neflins23things", but that will be my next task. At least I have gotten a taste of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker