Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thing 15: Rollyo

I feel like I've grown a bit apathetic about the Things. Rollyo did not excite me. I suppose I should've compared a search of one of the searchrolls to Google, but I didn't - just because it seemed to me that they wouldn't really turn up vastly different results.

I learned quickly in searching that certain mega-sites were going to overtake the results that could be found from others. When I did a search of "chimp attack" on their pre-existing news searchroll, CNN made up the first 20 or so hits. The same thing happened when I made my own searchroll. Since I couldn't think of anything else I made a searchroll of some of my favorite shopping sites. However, I added some biggies like Target and Amazon, and those were all of the hits that came back. Once I removed those, it seemed to give a little more play to the other sites. If you want to look for something on my searchroll, there's a widget on the right.

I suppose I could find some practical applications. If I worked the reference desk more often, I would searchroll a bunch of sites I used often - world atlas, online encyclopedia, etc - hopefully making the search for an answer to a question come that much faster. Other than that, all I can muster to say about this Thing is "meh".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker