Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thing 13: Library Thing

Or as I like to call it "How nosy can you be?! Why don't you just read over my shoulder for god's sake!". Not really. Well kinda. Anyway...

So I've already done something quite similar to this on Facebook. I think they call it something like "Visual Bookshelf", but the idea is the same. You input a bunch of books that you've read or are reading, and you can write reviews and see what your friends are currently reading. The problem is, I'm really bad at updating it, so my friends probably think I've been reading the same book for about 6 months now.

I can see how this could be a useful tool. If tagged properly, you could use it to search for a book whose name you can't remember. (Like all those patrons who come in saying "I'm looking for a book that's blue with a mouse on the cover" or "It's about a detective in Cedar Falls"). You can also definitely use it as a "what to read next" function. I had a great time looking at people's bookshelves that shared a similar taste in books. I'm always looking for new authors!

A cool thing, but not one I'm over-the-top excited about. If you want to check out my bookshelf, there's a selection over on the right - the last widget. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
eXTReMe Tracker